For a spectacular result when decorating any room with wallpaper, you should consider three simple tips indicated by the most prestigious decorators and wallpaper installers.
The first step, prior to installing your wallpaper, is to choose a high quality wallpaper. You want it to look always like the first day. Seems obvious, but durability and quality are directly related.
There are two main families of wallpapers:
- Vinyl wallpapers: composed of two layers, one of cellulose and the other of vinyl or plastic. This second layer is the one that makes possible the isolation of the humidity and that can be cleaned with a humid cloth. Ideal for kitchens, bathrooms and children’s rooms.
- TNT non-woven papers: fibers that form a textile base and are joined together without being woven (they do not form threads). They are coated with an acrylic varnished layer. They remain impermeable and can be removed more easily than vinyl papers. They also have high resistance to sunlight.
Additionally we can further classify the paper would be: self-adhesive vs traditional
Choosing the right wallpaper for the room
The next step is to choose the wallpaper according to the room you are going to decorate.
- For kitchens, hallways or the children’s room it is recommended to install a washable wallpaper. Even more, the wallpaper in the children’s room should be scrubbable.
- For bathrooms, it should be damp-proof and preferably self-adhesive.
- For walls with imperfections, a textured wallpaper is recommended.
Other issues to consider are: the lighting of the room and the colour of the other walls (in case you are not going to install a wallpaper in every wall).
Once these previous questions have been taken into account, the paper to choose also depends on our personal tastes. You must choose a design that meets your needs, doesn’t matter if you are looking for an inspiring space or a relaxing one.
To install your wallpaper you have two options: choosing qualified personnel to do it or doing it yourself.
The second option seems more risky. However, if you follow a few simple steps you can install the wallpaper yourself and achieve great results. The most important thing is to read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to the letter, and then, you only have to follow three simple tips:
- Prepare the wall to be wallpapered: this will be done depending on how the wall was previously decorated. If it had artex we will have to remove it or cover it. If the wall had another wallpaper previously, we will have to remove the paper completely. Finally, if we are facing a regular wall, we will have to take care of its irregularities (holes, cracks …) until it is completely smooth.
- Determine the amount of paper needed: Measure carefully the surface to be covered, then calculate the number of rolls needed to do it. In addition, we must make sure that all the rolls are from the same batch (it is slightly possible that there are variations in tone and appearance).
- Cutting and pasting the paper: Take a lot of care in placing the first roll of paper straight. Glue the wall and carefully place the paper on the glued surface. Pass a dry brush over the paper already in place to ensure proper adhesion and avoid bubbles. If the paper has a pattern, make sure that one roll fits into the next. Dedicate your time to make sure that the space between each roll is right. You don’t want to mount one roll on top of the other or leave a blank space between them.
Decorate with style and leave your personal mark when installing your wallpaper.
From Muance we offer you our blog with some very accessible tips for you to enjoy the challenge of installing your wallpaper. If you have any questions, contact our team of wallpaper professionals.
Enter our website and discover the perfect wallpaper for your project. Do not hesitate to contact us or you can even register in our professionals area to obtain advantages such as samples and all the data of our tendy wallpapers and available materials. Also, here you can find our last Catalogue.